1937 Season

1937-10-02 – Georgia Tech vs. Mercer

Georgia Tech vs. Mercer - 1937

Georgia Tech vs. Mercer – October 2, 1937

Mercer: 0
Georgia Tech: 28

Following a 59-0 shutout of Presbyterian to open the 1937 season, Georgia Tech would remain home in week two to play host to the Mercer Bears. The Yellow Jackets and Bears would face each other for the first time on the gridiron since 1916 when Tech triumphed 61-0 at Grant Field. The Ramblin’ Wreck led the all-time series 11-1-1. Tech’s only loss to the Bears came in its first-ever football game on November 5, 1892 in Macon, Georgia where Mercer came out on top of a 12-6 decision. The tie came four years later 1896 in a 12-12 decision in Atlanta. Mercer entered the contest at 1-0, having defeated Georgia Southern 77-0 on September 24.

Tech’s first scoring drive covered 34 yards in the first quarter for a 7-0 lead. Fletcher Sims picked up the bulk of the yardage on a 19 yard scamper on a fake reverse to the Bear 15 yard line. Harry Appleby and Marion “Dutch” Konemann then alternated carries to the 4 yard line before the latter took a sweep to the 1. Appleby would hit the line twice more, scoring on the second run from just outside the goal for the game’s first points.

The second Yellow Jacket scoring drive began at the Tech 15 later in the opening period. Konemann opened the drive with a 16 yard sweep to the 31 and Sims followed with 12 yards to the 43. After Appleby picked up 5 more to the 48, Sims hit Konemann just over the line of scrimmage and Konemann pitched back to Buck Murphy for an eventual 23 yard gain to the Mercer 27 yard line. Three plays then failed to gain before Sims connected on a pair of shovel passes for 8 and 15 yards, respectively. Appleby took the ball up the middle on the next play for the score, and the Yellow Jacket lead stood at 14-0.

Sophomore quarterback Billy Gibson replaced Sims in the second quarter to lead Tech to its third score of the day. Gibson picked up 2 yards on his own before Konemann added 12 yards to the Mercer 20 yard line. Gibson then picked up 15 yards on two of the next three plays for a first down at the 4 yard line. Konemann followed with a line buck to the 1 and Gibson capped off the drive with a sneak for the touchdown and a 21-0 advantage.

The final score of the contest came after the Jackets covered 53 yards in 12 plays late in the second quarter. The touchdown was earned on a 6 yard pass from Gibson to Ed Jones and the Ramblin’ Wreck held a 28-0 lead at intermission.

Little action followed the break, with Mercer advancing only as far as the Georgia Tech 27 yard line. The drive came to a close when Tech’s Bob Anderson recovered a wild pitch to put a cap on the shutout. Tech would not score again and would hold on for the 28-0 victory.

The Bears would play just one more game on the season, facing the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens on October 23 and falling by a score of 19-0 to end the season at 1-2, overall.


First downs:
MER – 4
GT – 18

Rushing yards:
MER – 77
GT – 234

Passing (Comp-Att-Yds):
MER – 3-9-33
GT – 6-11-102

Interceptions thrown:
MER – 2
GT – 2

Fumbles lost:
MER – 1
GT – 0

Penalty yards:
MER – 0
GT – 70

Miles, Ed. “Jacket Starters Score Four Times in First Two Periods.” The Atlanta Journal. 1937 Oct. 3
Kopf, Frank. “Jackets Gain 245 Yards To Bears’ 22 in 1st Half.” The Atlanta Journal. 1937 Oct. 3

Comments are closed.