1936 Season

1936-10-17 – Georgia Tech at Duke

Georgia Tech at Duke - 1936

Georgia Tech at Duke – October 17, 1936

Georgia Tech: 6
Duke: 19

Georgia Tech entered the fourth week of the 1936 season at 3-0, having defeated its opponents by a combined 147-0. Duke entered in similar fashion at 4-0, having also failed to surrender a point all year. Tech held a narrow 2-1 lead in the all-time series, winning the most recent contest 6-0 at Grant Field in 1935.

The opening stanza saw little action until late in the quarter when Duke’s Dick Taliaferro blocked a Lawrence Hays punt near the Yellow Jacket 20 yard line. Taliaferro caught the ball after one bounce and began racing towards the Yellow Jacket end zone. Hays eventually brought him down within the 1, but Eric Tinton would plow over the goal line on the first play to follow to give the Blue Devils a 7-0 lead after the successful extra point.

While the Yellow Jacket defense struggled through much of the second quarter, they were able to keep the Blue Devils off the board until just before half time. Tech’s Fletcher Sims picked off an Elmore Hackney pass at the Ramblin’ Wreck 15, but made an unwise pitch back to Ernest Tharpe, who was downed at his own 7 yard line. Sims punted out to the 39 shortly thereafter and Duke went right to work. A committee of backs first combined for 15 yards to the Yellow Jacket 23. Hackney then dropped back to pass, but saw an opening in the line and raced all the way to the end zone for Duke’s second touchdown of the day. A missed extra point, however, would leave the Devils holding a 13-0 lead.

Tech elected to kickoff following the score, and the Blue Devils began at their own 34 following the return. Two passes fell incomplete before Johnny Johnston snagged a third at the Duke 45 and raced all the way to Tech’s 21 yard line with little time remaining in the half. Clarence Parker went back to Johnston one play later for a touchdown that would give the Blue Devils a 19-0 lead at halftime following their second missed extra point.

The Jackets notched their lone score of the game in the third quarter after taking over near midfield following a punt by Parker. Marion Konemann got the drive started with a 13 yard run around left end for a first down. Sims then went to the air and hooked up with Harry Appleby 14 yards down field, and Appleby raced the remaining 25 yards to the Blue Devil end zone for the touchdown. Tech then missed an extra point of their own to remain trailing by thirteen.

The Ramblin’ Wreck defense continued to play tough, and the Jackets nearly caught a huge break in the fourth quarter. Dropping back to punt, Sims booted the ball well over Hackney’s head and the ball rolled back to within the Duke 1 yard line. In an unwise decision, Hackney attempted to field the ball and fumbled. Tech’s Charley Preston then made a dive for the ball at the same time as Hackney, but the latter recovered for the Blue Devils to avoid disaster. Duke would punt the ball out shortly thereafter and Tech never threatened again.

Despite falling to Tennessee 15-13 one week later, the Blue Devils would crack the AP poll at #13 on October 26th. Following the loss, Duke went on to win its final four contests to finish the year at 9-1, overall, holding the #11 spot in the final AP poll.


First Downs:
GT – 9
DUKE – 5

Rushing yards:
GT – 133
DUKE – 113

Passing yards:
GT – 67
DUKE – 57

Interceptions thrown:
GT – 3
DUKE – 2

Fumbles lost:
GT – 1
DUKE – 0

Penalty yards:
GT – 5
DUKE – 20

Unknown. Unknown. The Atlanta Journal. 1936 Oct. 18

Comments are closed.