1935 Season

1935-11-16 – Georgia Tech at Alabama

Georgia Tech at Alabama - 1935

Georgia Tech at Alabama – November 16, 1935

Georgia Tech: 7
Alabama: 38

Having lost three games in a row after starting the season at 3-1, Georgia Tech would head to Birmingham for a tough contest with the Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama entered with a record of 5-1-1, having won four straight over Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and Clemson while giving up just 7 points. The Tide had enjoyed recent success over the Jackets, winning each of the two previous meetings since suffering a 6-0 defeat at Grant Field in 1932. The Jackets held a narrow lead in the all-time series with a record of 10-8-2.

After the foes exchanged quick punts to start the contest, Alabama began at midfield following a punt and slowly marched to the Tech 20. James Angelich then put the Crimson Tide on the board with a fake reverse up the middle for a 20 yard touchdown. A missed extra point, however, would leave ‘Bama with just a 6-0 lead.

The Jackets elected to kick off following the score, and the Tide would begin at its own 35 following a solid return. The Alabama offense then steadily drove to the Tech 2, but lost the ball on a fumble just outside the goal line to come away empty.

A blocked punt eventually gave the ball back to Alabama at Tech’s 19 late in the period, and the Tide offense pushed to the Ramblin’ Wreck 2 as the quarter expired. Riley Smith entered to account for the touchdown from within the 1 early the second quarter and the lead would stand at 12-0 following a blocked extra point.

Tech again elected to kickoff and its defense quickly forced a punt to the ‘Bama 36. After a short gain, George “Scrappy” Edwards went to the air and found E.H. Gibson on the completion. Just as Gibson was being tackled, he pitched the ball to Marion “Dutch” Konemann on the hook-and-lateral and Konemann raced the remaining distance, dragging a defender over the goal line for Tech’s lone score of the contest.

Alabama elected to kickoff, and an exchange of fumbles left Tech with the ball with its back to its own end zone. A bad punt then put the ball back in the Tide’s hands at the Ramblin’ Wreck 15 and Riley Smith would punch the ball in from within the 1 several plays later to make it 19-7.

The remainder of the half passed with little notable action and the Tide would lead by 12 at intermission.

In the third quarter, Fletcher Sims threw an interception to Jimmy Walker that setup Alabama’s offense at the Yellow Jacket 23 yard line. Five plays later, Paul “Bear” Bryant scored on a 7 yard end around to increase the Crimson Tide lead to 25-7.

Wild fourth quarter action setup the next Alabama score. The Tide again advanced within the Tech 5, but lost the ball on a Joe Kilgrow fumble. But the Jackets quickly gave the ball back with an interception and Kilgrow redeemed himself with a touchdown run shortly thereafter to make it 32-7.

Another Tech interception gave the Crimson Tide the ball near the Alabama 35, and a 51 yard run by Young Boozer put the Alabama offense at the Yellow Jacket 15 yard line. ‘Bama would add a final touchdown in the few minutes that remained to close out the 38-7 victory.

Alabama would go on to fall to Vanderbilt by a score of 14-6 in Nashville in their final contest of the season to finish the year at 6-2-1, overall.


First downs:
GT – 9
ALA – 22

Rushing yards:
GT – 61
ALA – 355

Passing (Comp-Att-Yds):
GT – 6-22-113
ALA – 6-9-67

Interceptions thrown:
GT – 5
ALA – 0

Fumbles (Total-Lost):
GT – 1-1
ALA – 3-3

Keeler, O.B. “Tide Power is Too Much For Jackets.” The Atlanta Journal. 1935 Nov. 17

Comments are closed.