2002 Season

2002-09-07 – Georgia Tech at Connecticut

Georgia Tech at Connecticut - 2002

Georgia Tech at Connecticut – September 7, 2002

Georgia Tech: 31
Connecticut: 14

Following an impressive 45-3 season-opening win over Vanderbilt at home, Georgia Tech would head to Storrs, Connecticut for its first road test to face the Connecticut Huskies. The game would be the first-ever meeting between the two schools, and would be played in front of a record Memorial Stadium crowd of 16,751.

Connecticut pushed out to their own 35 following the opening kick, but lost possession when Marvious Hester forced and recovered a Shaun Feldeisen fumble at the 34 yard line.

On second down, Tony Hollings would race to the end zone from 34 yards out and the Jackets would take a 7-0 lead at the twelve minute mark in the opening quarter.

A quick three-and-out put the ball back in Tech’s hands, and A.J. Suggs led a 9 play, 61 yard drive to increase the Yellow Jacket lead to 14-0. Hollings accounted for the touchdown from one yard out for his second of the day.

Late in the quarter, the staunch Ramblin’ Wreck defense forced a punt to midfield and the Jackets would score one play later on a 46 yard touchdown by Hollings to make it 21-0 at the start of the second period.

Much of the second quarter passed with little action until the Jackets began at their own 42 with 5:30 to go before halftime. Hollings helped push to the Huskie 36 before Suggs found Kerry Watkins for 28 yards to the 8 yard line. Hollings would cover the remaining distance in three runs for his fourth score of the day and a 28-0 lead at intermission.

The Jackets would add a 41 yard Luke Manget field goal midway through the third quarter to up the lead to 31-0 before sending in the reserves.

Connecticut followed suit and scored their first touchdown as the result of backup quarterback Keron Henry’s 2 yard touchdown pass to Tommy Collins with 2:55 remaining in the contest.

Trailing 31-7, the Huskie defense forced a quick three-and-out and regained possession at the Connecticut 20 with 1:18 to play. Starter Dan Orlovsky returned to lead a 9 play, 80 yard drive to cut it to 31-14 with 25 seconds remaining. The Jackets would run out the remaining time to hold on for a 17-point victory to improve to 2-0 on the season.

The Huskies would go on to win six of their remaining ten games, including their final four contests to finish at 6-6 on the year. But despite the strong finish, Connecticut’s .500 season was not quite enough to earn a bowl berth.


First downs:
GT – 17
UC – 13

Rushing Yards:
GT – 226
UC – 64

Passing (Comp-Att-Yds):
GT – 14-21-189
UC – 15-32-185

Interceptions thrown:
GT – 0
UC – 1

Fumbles (Total-Lost):
GT – 1-1
UC – 2-1

Penalties (Total-Yds):
GT – 6-45
UC – 5-26

Game Summary: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/090702aaa.html

Comments are closed.