1958 Season

1958-11-29 – Georgia Tech at Georgia

Georgia Tech at Georgia - 1958

Georgia Tech at Georgia – November 29, 1958

Georgia Tech: 3
Georgia: 16

Coming off a tough 17-8 loss to Alabama at Grant Field, the Yellow Jackets made their way to Athens on Thanksgiving weekend to pay a visit to the archrival Georgia Bulldogs. Georgia had just rebounded from three straight losses to drop The Citadel 76-0 for just their third win of the 1958 season. The Bulldogs won the previous meeting 7-0 in Atlanta to end a seven game winning streak by Tech, but entered the contest as a clear underdog.

As neither offense could manage to put together a drive in the early going, the squads headed to the second quarter knotted at 0-0.

Midway through the second period, Georgia found a spark when Larry Lancaster blocked a Gerald Burch punt and Jimmy Vickers returned the ball 20 yards for a touchdown. The Bulldogs then held a 6-0 lead after Carl Manning’s missed extra point.

The Jackets continued to struggle on offense, but held Georgia in check until punting back late in the half. The Bulldogs then embarked on an 8 play drive deep into Tech territory before eventually settling for a 20 yard Dave Lloyd field goal that made it 9-0 at halftime.

Tech caught a break early in the third quarter when Joe Delany recovered a Don Soberdash fumble at the Bulldog 43 yard line. But again, a struggling Tech offense failed to get anything going and eventually punted back to its rival.

Another scoring opportunity presented itself when Floyd Faucette recovered a George Guisler fumble at the Bulldog 28. This time, the Jackets advanced as far as the Georgia 3, but were again unable to capitalize and turned the ball over on downs.

A third Georgia fumble gave Tech yet another chance when Billy Shaw recovered for the Jackets. They finally took advantage on this occasion when Tommy Wells made it 9-3 with a 21 yard field goal.

Tech’s defense continued to keep Georgia at bay while the offense failed to muster up any points as play moved into the final period of the contest. Georgia then put the nail in the coffin when Charles Britt returned an interception to Tech’s 34 and Fred Brown raced into the end zone from the 33 yard line to make it 16-3 in favor of the Bulldogs.
Tech threatened once more as time wound down, but was halted by an interception at the Bulldog goal line.

The loss was Tech’s first to the Bulldogs in Athens since 1948 and marked the first two game loses streak to Georgia since the 1945 and 1946 seasons.


First downs:
GT – 12
UGA – 8

Rushing Yards:
GT – 153
UGA – 241

Passing (Comp-Att-Yds):
GT – 8-18-78
UGA – 1-3-(-1)

Interceptions thrown:
GT – 2
UGA – 0

Fumbles lost:
GT – 0
UGA – 4

Penalty yards:
GT – 20
UGA – 45

Outlar, Jesse. “Sapp, Brown Bull Georgia by Tech.” The Atlanta Journal Constitution. 1958 Nov. 30

Comments are closed.